Thursday, April 20, 2017

"The Passage" (70,000 wds) Literary Fiction -- is born!

I'm happy to say that during the 2nd Edit of Canyon Flower, and after MANY consultations with my Writer's Group and beta readers and query rejections, it occurred to me that the novel needed to be restructured. It required some rewriting, and it was tricky to move chapters from the back to the front, to stagger Points of View in a way that still had continuity and logical progression....but after a ton of work and a lot of critique help, I did it! And the book is better for it! Since I've lived with these characters in my head for over a year, I thought it would be fun to "cast" them. I've borrowed the faces of all of these pretty people; I hope they don't mind.

What was interesting is that the character (young American girl who worked the raft on the Colorado River, and who was the innocent embodiment of a canyon flower, turned out to be a secondary character instead of the main character. Skylar is the cook on the rafting trip. In my mind's eye, Skylar, The Canyon Flower looks something like this:

Skylar Lancaster


Jango Norris is the boatsman and guide on the trip. This good looking dude is the type I had in mind when I wrote this character who is the love interest of Skylar, and keeps the river raft going downriver:


Jango Norris


But after restructuring the novel, Ishida Ikiro, the protegee of the geisha, Kimi, has taken over the book and become its protagonist. Ishi is a sweet Japanese girl who has endured a painful childhood and is sent away to Japan to become an apprentice to her cousin in the geisha district of Kyoto.

Ishi Ikiro


Ishi's cousin, a beautiful geisha celebrity, Kimi-san, is a secondary character, but the story and the action and the other characters actually pivot around her.


Kimi-san Muro


Michael is the patron of Kimi. He is a rich investment banker who works in Los Angeles, but commutes to Kyoto regularly to be with the woman he loves. (the woman he does not love is his wife.)

Michael Shimizu


Buyo is Michael's associate, but a very different type of man. He sees and understands Ishi, something no one else can do.

Buyo Hasegawa

No comments:

Post a Comment